16 killed, hundreds displaced as flood ravages Indonesia’s Siau Island

16 killed, hundreds displaced as flood ravages Indonesia’s Siau Island

At least 16 people have been confirmed dead, while three others remain missing, after heavy rainfall triggered a flash flood on Indonesia’s Siau Island, authorities said on Tuesday.

The National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) said an overflowing river inundated four communities on the small island, located north of Sulawesi, on Monday.

BNPB spokesperson Abdul Muhari confirmed the casualty figures, noting that search and rescue teams were still combing the area for those unaccounted for.

According to the agency, 22 people sustained injuries in the flooding, while close to 700 residents were displaced and forced to seek shelter.

Muhari said the disaster followed intense rainfall that began in the early hours of the day, causing rivers to swell rapidly and burst their banks.

Images released by rescue officials showed large boulders, uprooted trees, and debris swept through residential areas by the fast-moving waters.

The flood also damaged dozens of homes, public buildings, and critical infrastructure, while access roads in several areas were cut off.

Reports indicate that flooding is a recurring challenge in Indonesia during the rainy season, which typically lasts from October to March.

In recent months, parts of South and Southeast Asia have been hit by severe monsoon rains and tropical storms, triggering deadly floods and landslides.

Authorities said flooding in Sumatra late last year claimed at least 1,178 lives and displaced more than 240,000 people, making it one of the deadliest disasters on the island since the 2004 earthquake and tsunami.

Watch the devastation of floods in Indonesia's North Sulawesi on Reuters